If you think that you might be having problems with the IRS, you should contact IRS tax resolution services as soon as possible. Here are a few reasons that you should take your problem with the IRS seriously before you have to worry about tax liens and wage garnishments.
1. According to the U.S. Supreme Court, the power of administrative levy for federal taxes dates back to the year 1791. This was actually put in to law more than 50 years before the first federal income taxes were put into effect.
2. One of the most feared ways that the IRS can regain the money that they are owed is the tax levy. This drastic action is only taken when someone owes a serious amount of back taxes. Tax levies are not taken out against those who have made a few mistakes on their federal tax returns.
3. In case you are confused as to what exactly a tax levy actually entails, here is a little bit of clarification. The IRS has the authority to seek out levies upon assets that are in the possession of the the person who owes the taxes which is called a seizure. The also have the authority to take out a levy upon assets in the possession of a third party such as a bank or a brokerage house.
4. Another action that the IRS can take to regain the money owed them is through the use of wage garnishments. This is when the IRS can demand of an employer to send a portion of the salary of a tax debtor to be sent directly to the IRS as a payment.
5. There are a whole host of reasons to contact an experienced tax professional long before you need to find an attorney to help you with back taxes. In fact, the easiest tax form, the 1040EZ, has 33 pages of instructions for simple federal tax returns. See this reference for more.