Why Mold Is so Dangerous

Portland restoration

When you think about the dangers in your home, you probably worry about things like gas leaks, or perhaps a damaged roof, maybe an insect infestation. However, one of the most hazardous things that can exist in your home is mold.

Mold is a fungus that can grow inside your home, although it can grow outside as well. They tend to grow best in warm, damp, humid conditions. They reproduce by producing spores. If these spores are inhaled or come into contact with human skin, they can nasal stuffiness, eye irritation, wheezing, or skin irritation. If the exposure is significant, it can cause fever and shortness of breath. Some people with chronic lung conditions, such as obstructive lung disease, can develop mold infections inside their lungs. Though not proven, many doctors now believe that exposure to mold can cause asthma to develop in your children.

There are tens of thousands of different species of mold. Different molds have different appearances. However, all molds are believe to pose a danger to humans. The most hazardous mold is stachybotrys chlorohalonata, the so called “black mold.” Named for its black color, black mold health risks include everything from head aches to death depending on the amount of exposure.

You are at particular risk for developing black mold if your home as suffered water damage. If you believe that there is black mold in your home or if you are unsure, you can call a mold remediation service. They can do black mold detection and black mold clean up for you. Do not try to do black mold detection and black mold clean up yourself. Doing so may release spores that can be very damaging to your health. Read more.


Leave a Reply